For Essay 2 I want to write about how and why I decided to become a Special Education teacher. I want to reflect on how people come to the decision of who they want to be or what they want to do for the rest of their lives and I know this is important to everyone. I want to get across that no matter what anyone decides to do, it should be something that makes them happy. I know one thing that is so true, if you wake up every day wanting to go to work, you'll never work a day in your life. That phrase is so true and I somehow want to incorporate that theme into my essay without actually saying that word for word. College students are always trying to find themselves and deciding what would be a great career for them and I want to discuss this in my essay by talking about my experiences and decisions. I need to have a good title for this essay and I hope I will come up with something great.
Some of the experiences I am going to talk about are:
-working at day cares/child care centers (I enjoyed it, but there was something missing)
-working at a special needs recreation program (how I felt about first getting the job, how I feel now having it) I was weary at first and didn't know what to expect, but I loved it from the first day I started.
-connections I made/have with the children there at my job (I think this part is extremely important) Teachers definitely gain connections with their students.
-changing majors from early childhood to special education. I decided to do this just this year and it took a lot of thought, but I knew it would be the best decision for me and an excellent choice.
-talking about why I wanted to be a teacher in the first place (high school decision). I decided it in my senior year. I also worked with 3rd graders in a CCD program before high school
-working with a kindergarten class for my sorority
-underprivileged kids
-watching movies that talk about underprivileged kids. I remember watching movies relating to this theme and I was always interested in it. I even remember being a fan of Mariah Carey when I was younger and she was a part of a camp for underprivileged children. I looked up to her and it made me want to follow in her foot steps.
-how the decision stayed true throughout college. I never changed my mind.
-having a cousin with ADHD (watching him grow)
-the importance of being a teacher
-never having a younger sibling (I wonder if this effected my decision at all)
In this essay, I really don't want to lecture. Instead of giving my opinion flat out, I want to tell it through my story, by getting my point across without having to say it word for word. I want this to be something everyone can relate to, which I think it will. I have no problem with this essay being public. It is even something that could be great for my major.
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Rebecca, I was born a writer. I have been talked out of it my whole life. Even now, people ask me what am I going to do with it. We know in our gut who we are and what we should become. Thanks. Maureen
ReplyDelete